There are surprisingly large amounts hidden in everyday foods and drinks. Whilst how much sugar we consume is ultimately down to individuals, the role of the environment we live in is hugely influential. SUGAR SMART is a campaign of Jamie Oliver and Sustain to help local areas across the UK to tackle excessive sugar consumption. To find out more about the Sugar Smart campaign please see the link to the website below.
As part of our launch, we would like to encourage the children to bring a Sugar Smart lunch. Guidance for a Sugar Smart lunch box is detailed below:
Packed lunch contents:
- Be based on starchy foods - this can include bread, rice, pasta, couscous, wraps, pitta, potatoes and chapatti, and where possible try to choose wholegrain varieties, e.g. wholemeal bread and leave skins on potatoes;
- Include a portion of protein such as meat, fish, eggs, beans, lentils or pulses;
- Include at least 1-2 portions of fruit and vegetables, this can include salad items;
- Include a dairy food such as milk, cheese, yogurt or fromage frais;
- Include a drink - healthy options include water, semi-skimmed or 1% milk.
We encourage you not to include:
- Foods high in fat, sugar or salt, e.g. crisps, biscuits, cereal bars, chocolate, sweets and other confectionary, fried foods, takeaway or fast food meals, pastries;
- Chocolate spread, honey, jam or marmalade
- Fizzy drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks, flavoured water, smoothies, milkshakes or juice style drinks
For further suggestions please see the following website:
Just making one change can make a difference e.g. change chocolate for fruit!
Many thanks for your support with this important initiative.